26 April 2019 - 31 March 2020
|Place||ul. Benedyktyńska 37, 30-398 Kraków, POLAND|
|Organizer||Fundacja Chronić Dobro / Foundation To Protect The Goodstitute of Culture|
On July 30th 1939, the official transfer of the Tyniec abbey to the eleven-member fellowship of monks headed by father Karol van Oost took place. The plans of comprehensive reconstruction of the abbey were very soon interrupted by the outbreak of the Second World War. The monks survived the difficult time of the war in Tyniec and, despite obstacles, they managed to make some minor repairs and commence archaeological and architectural studies.
After the war, in 1947, the long process of raising up the ruins of the monastery’s walls has been commenced. This tremendous effort was made possible thanks to the support of many people of good will. The Benedictines were collecting the funds for the restoration by appealing to raise up the ruins of the Polish Monte Cassino.
The basic reconstruction of the monastery lasted until the 1980s, and the ruins of the former library in the southern part of the hill remained unrestored until the 1990s. Not until the years 2006-2008 has this part of the complex been fully rehabilitated.
The jubilee exhibition presenting archival photographs provides a great opportunity for a time travel through the whole 20th century in order to to appreciate the metamorphosis of the Tyniec hill.