Forms of communitiness form the keynote of the second edition of the Polish–German–Israeli project Ćwiczenie nowoczesności • Exercising modernity •Modernität üben • לתרגלמודרניזם . A part of the project is the Exercising Modernity Academy , which is being organized by the Pilecki Institute in cooperation with the Liebling House – The White City Center (Tel Aviv), the Polish Institute in Tel Aviv, and the Gdynia City Museum. Participants will attend classes taught by eminent artists, curators, architects and researchers - Meetings and workshops will be held in the autumn of 2019 in Tel Aviv, Warsaw, Gdynia, Berlin and Weimar.
Forms of communitiness form the keynote of the second edition of the Polish–German–Israeli project. Issues concerning social relations in the 20th century, founded on a common identity (historical, religious, national or class–based), on common interests and needs, but also on conflicts as to that which is common, inspire discussions and questions about the meaning and the vital role of communities in the development of modern states, cities and societies. In particular, we will analyze past and present forms of cohabitation, and also new forms of societal management. Our focus will be on the following:
● communitiness as one of the fundamental ideas of modernity, also in the context of collective memory and identity,
● community–based forms of habitation in Germany, Poland and Israel, such as social housing states or the Israeli kibbutz,
● forms of social self–organization, for example cooperatives and (housing) associations,
● the public space and the quest for a modern agora for modern democracies.
Our offer includes:
● gratuitous participation in the Academy, provision of board, lodging and transportation,
● lectures and workshops held by experienced and acclaimed scholars and artists,
● an interesting program of accompanying events,
● those who complete the course will be entitled to submit their own research or artistic project, elaborated or expanded during classes, for a special scholarship program organized by the Pilecki Institute and devoted to the issue of modernity in the 20th century (details will be announced at the beginning of 2020).
Successful candidates undertake to attend all sessions held in the course of the Academy. Classes and workshops will be held in English.
I session: Tel Aviv (24–29.10.2019)
II session: Warsaw and Gdynia (14–19.11.2019)
III session: Berlin, Weimar (05–08.12.2019)
For further information please visit our website exercisingmodernity.com and https://instytutpileckiego.pl/en.
The Ćwiczenie nowoczesności | Exercising modernity | Modernität üben | לתרגל מודרניזם Academy program is open to researchers specializing in the humanities and artists who at the time of completion of the enrolment stage shall be under 35 years of age, and shall come from or reside in Israel, Germany or Poland.
Candidates are invited to submit their applications by e–mail to the address: email@example.com by 28.09.2019 (8:00 p.m.). You are requested to write “Academy 2019” as the subject of the e–mail.
A complete application should include:
1. Scans of signed forms:
– declaration concerning the controller of personal data – attachment no. 1,
– declaration concerning the provision of consent to the processing of personal data and
personal image data – attachment no. 2,
2. Artistic/academic biographical note and/or portfolio,
3. 3 mini–essays (each up to 1,800 characters with spaces) answering the following
● How does the subject of this year’s edition of the Exercising Modernity Academy connect with your current interests/work/research/artistic practice?
● What are your expectations of the Exercising Modernity Academy program and the course instructors?
● If you could carry out a six–month research/artistic project related to the subject matter of the 2019 edition of the Exercising Modernity Academy, what would this project consist in?