|Place||Husova 4, 110 Praha 1, CZECH REPUBLIC|
|Organizer||Ústav dějin umění, Akademie věd ČR / Institute of Art History Academy of Scienc|
The book Rožmberk Under the Buquoys examines an important stage in the construction history of Rožmberk Castle in the early modern period and also the lives and artistic patronage of the owners of the estate at that time, in particular Georg Johann Heinrich Buquoy (1814–1882). On the basis of a study of the written sources and recently discovered pictorial ones, the work describes the salient circumstances surrounding the creation of the “Castle Museum” in the mid-19th century, which was intended not only to celebrate the history of the Longueval de Buquoy family, but also to present an extensive collection of artefacts and antique items to the broad public. Essential parts of the very comprehensive conception of Georg Johann Heinrich Buquoy, who commissioned the work, included architectural alterations to the castle complex and its surroundings, assembling furniture and arranging for the decoration, and also ongoing pictorial documentation. Those involved in this work included not only local artists abut also others who were based elsewhere, especially in the Austrian metropolis. The aim of the book is not to provide an exhaustive description of this very lively construction and artistic activity in Rožmberk in the period from the 1840s to the 1860s, but rather to draw attention to a whole series of noteworthy facts which add to and in many ways expand what we knew about Rožmberk Castle until now. Today we can see it to a large extent in the form that the first visitors in the 1850s had the opportunity to become familiar with.
The book is part of the project “Renewing the Buquoy Cultural Landscape: Saving a moveable cultural heritage as the basis for renewing the memory of a site and a cultural identity”.